Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Know Your Cycles

I have questioned my Doctor over and over again... when is this going to end??? It felt like my dark days would never come to an end. I was tired of what seemed like endless suffering... sleepless nights, sleeping my days away, not being able to function in social settings. All he had to say to me was to be patient.

Although you might ne diagnosed with depression it actually comes and goes in cycles. Some people get depressed due to the weather, when it cold and gloomy and then when spring/summer roles around they are fine. There is really nothing that you can do to change this but you can pay attention to your cycle and the symptoms that you experience when falling into a depression. Paying attention may help you cope better and maybe this time around things will not be as bad...

Last year I failed to pay attention to my body and mind. I suffered a nervous breakdown because of this. I had become extremely irritable, sad, tired, and I slept a lot. I also lost my appetite and lost a lot of weight which was really unhealthy for my body. I was overworked, attending school and taking care of home completely stressing my mind and body. I can remember suffering very bad panic attacks both at work and at home. On one occasion it got so bad that I had to go to the hospital. My hands and legs became numb, my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. I was afraid that I was having a stroke. Let's not forget the uncontrollable crying... all of this may have been avoided if I would have listened to my body instead of ignoring what I was feeling. What I am trying to illustrate is the importance of paying attention to your body and knowing your cycles and triggers for that matter. Until this day I still suffer but mow I have a better chance of avoiding a similar situation...

Take care of yourself for those who are suffering. For those who knows of someone who is suffering its a good idea for you to pay close attention to that person, you might notice things that they are in denial about and save them from a bad experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment